Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Favorite Reading Material as a Child

As long as I can remember, I have always LOVED to read. As a child, I started out reading (I believe) every one of the Bobsey Twins books. I know I read every one of the Little Women series books. I was big into series. Another series I really loved were the non-fiction series about Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry.

I have always loved horses and always dreamed of having my own horse. That is probably one reason I am so hooked on Confessions of the Pioneer Woman.

Anyway, back to Misty, the pony on which the book was based. Misty of Chincoteague is the title of a 1947 children's book by American author Marguerite Henry, based on the true story of a Chincoteague Pony named Misty. Set on the coastal island of that name, the book tells the story of the Beebe family and their efforts to raise a pony born to a wild horse. The book won the Newbery Honor. Wikipedia Misty and her foal Stormy have been preserved and are on display at the Beebes' home. Sequels to this book include:

Stormy, Misty's Foal
Sea Star: Orphan of Chincoteague
A Pictorial Life Story of Misty
Misty's Twilight


These books brought me so much pleasure and transported me to the Chincoteague Island off the coast of Virginia.