Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving Traditions

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching,I got to thinking what, if any, Thanksgiving traditions we have. As I was thinking about this, I realized that although our traditions have remained somewhat constant, they have changed somewhat through the years as our children grew and started their own families.

The one tradition that has not changed through the years is watching Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Even when I was a child living at home, I would get up on Thanksgiving morning to watch this parade. Have I mentioned that I love a parade?

When the kids were younger, I would be baking a cake during the parade (my contribution to Thanksgiving dinner). Then around 12:30 we would head over to my mother's for dinner. After a few hours there we would head over to Roger's parents home for dinner.

Now that the kids have grown, I now cook Thanksgiving dinner. We always have Turkey for Thanksgiving. Sometimes I also will cook a ham. In addition, we always have mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, Jell-o with bananas, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. A couple years ago we added another dish to the meal--my cornbread casserole. Roger and David are really the only pumpkin pie eaters. Sarah might be, I don't know. We also almost always have cake for us non-pie eaters. Our dinner usually takes place between 1 and 2 p.m., followed by dozing off and on for everyone while watching TV.